Y'all-- it happened. We hit 1,000 followers!! To celebrate us reaching this milestone together, we came up with a treat as creative, bright and fun as all of you…a Smash Cake!
What's a Smash Cake?
It's a hollow candy dome filled with sweet treats inside that you break open to enjoy.
And trust us...it's just as fun as it sounds!
- 3 bags of Candy Melts (8 ounces each) in colors of your choice
- 2-3 plain balloons
- Make sure they don't have words/images on them as that'll come off on the dome)
- Smash Cake fillers of your choice
- Small, bright treats work well to create a colorful, voluminous smash.
- Toppings of your choice
- We recommend picking an overall color story and theme and choosing toppings that add various heights and textures. The perfect Smash Cake needs layers- and lots of them!
- Melt 2 bags of candy melts in a microwave safe bowl.
- Blow up a balloon while the candy melts cool to room temperature. The balloon size will determine the size of your dome. We blew ours up 3/4 of the way for reference.
- Slowly dip the balloon in the candy melt until a dome shape has formed. Heads' up-- you want to go slowly so that the balloon adjusts to the heat of the candy melt and doesn't pop!
- Stick the balloon on wax paper and stick in the fridge for 5-10 minutes until hardened.
- Make a small slice in the balloon near the knot and slowly let out air, peeling the balloon from the sides of the dome until the full balloon is removed.
- Stack your fillers on your serving dish and cover with the candy dome.
- Melt the last candy melt bag in a microwave safe dish. Use the candy melt as "glue" to decorate the outside of the candy dome with your toppings.
- Find something fun to smash the cake! Make sure to get it on camera and tag @atx.and.o in your post. We'd love to see your creations! Check out out smash here.
Thank you all for your support to help grow the atx&o family. You #auspire us and the Austin community more than you know with your creativity and kindness. Happy Smashing!